Search: big ben
Why: On reddit, You won't find the answers at the bottom of a wine glass:
Prague, but that clock there is reminding me of that other clock.
Answer: No one is sure, not even Parliament! But there are two theories:
- It was named after Sir Benjamin Hall, First Commissioner for Works, whose name was [allegedly] inscribed on the first bell.
- It was named after Ben Caunt, a champion heavyweight boxer of the 1850s.
The More You Know: Some facts compiled by Diamond Geezer:
- The Clock Tower is 11 storeys high. There are 334 steps up to the belfry. There is no lift.
- Each clock face is made up of 312 pieces of opal glass.
- Each dial is just over 7m in diameter, and is cleaned once every five years by abseiling technicians.
- The tip of the minute hand travels approximately 190km each year.