Search: piglets tails; pigs curly tails
Why: On Reddit, What about a pig?
Only the pretend pig has a curly tail.
Answer: Some do! But not all. Do:
Baby pigs are cute, y'all.
Source: Google Images, AnswerBag, Question Master
The More You Know: But why do some pigs have curly tails? Theories:
- The Chinese have been domesticating pigs for over 7,000 years. In 3486 B.C., emperor Fo-Hi of China decreed that swine should be bred and raised. After domestication, pigs were bred to have curly tails and lop ears.
- Domesticated pigs have curly tails, but wild hogs have straight tails with tufted tips.
- Or... some pig breeds have curly tails while others do not. (Pot-bellied pigs have straight tails.)
- The curly tail was an evolutionary answer to pig fights. During fights, pigs will often bite one another's tail, causing serious injury. A curly tail is harder to grasp and bite.
- Because they are born in the spring!