Why: I always thought it was an octopus (like the one in Pirates of the Caribbean 2) or possibly a squid, but what kind of octopus or squid has a head like this?
Answer: A many-armed Scandinavian sea beast! Facts:
- It is also known as the Krabben, Sciu-Crak, and Hafgufe.
- 12th century Norwegian stories mention a creature the size of an island.
- It has arms that can reach the top of the highest mast.
- Tons of fishies gravitate around Kraken. If a boat successfully fishes around the monster without waking it up, it will catch more than it can carry.
- In the 1752 Natural History of Norway, the Bishop of Bergen described the Kraken as a "floating island" 1.5 miles across. He wrote, "It seems these are the creatures's arms, and, it is said, if they were to lay hold of the largest man-of-war, they would pull it down to the bottom."
- The Kraken attacked at least 3 ships in the 30s.
- It was probably a giant squid.
- It probably though the ship was a whale.
The More You Know: Did you know there is a squid even bigger (mass-wise) than the giant squid (aka the architeuthis), the star of my favorite movie The Beast (1996) (TV)? Well there is, and it is called the colossal squid. This goddammer* is 46 ft long, weighs over 1,000 lbs, and wants to eat you for a snack!
*I stole that word from this story about the imminent Sharktopus, which I am very excited about. Very.