Search: are mushrooms good for you; mushroom health benefits
Why: Last night, Kat got a portobello something burger and I just got a regular delicious bacon cheeseburger. Do mushrooms have protein or anything in them?
Answer: Yes! They contain:
- 90% water!
- 8-10% fiber!
- very little sodium or fat!
- 18 calories per cup!
- compounds that may may bolster immune function, suppress breast and prostate cancers, and decrease tumor size!
- large amounts of an antioxidant called L-ergothioneine!
- loads of potassium, which lowers blood pressure!
- lots of niacin, selenium, and riboflavin!
The More You Know: The Pharaohs prized mushrooms as a delicacy. The Greeks believed they provided strength for warriors in battle. The Romans regarded mushrooms as a gift from God and served them only on festive occasions. The Chinese treasured them as a health food. The Italians sought mushrooms to give them extra lives.