Search: alaska northern most
Why: 2Pz posted this link to a story about the loneliest polar bear:
Katrina: there are polar bears in alaska?!Answer: Barrow, AK - the northernmost city in the United States - is located at 71°17′44″N. (The North Pole, in case you forgot how circles work, should be at 90° N).
Fun facts about Barrow:
- Population 3,982
- Located 320 miles north of the Arctic Circle (which is about 66° N)
- The high daily temperature is above freezing on an average of only 109 days per year.
- Classified as a desert, with an average of less than 5 in. "equivalent rainfall" per year, which includes less than 30 in. of snow
- July is the warmest month of the year with an average high of 46 °F
- The Barrow High School football team are called the Whalers
The More You Know: The polar bear habitat spans 5 nations:
Also, I'm pretty sure Svalbard is where the armored bears live in The Golden Compass.