Search: stat; what does stat mean
Why: Tijia has the cough-n-sniffles. I told her to get "Advil Cold & Sinus! STAT!"
Answer: It is short for the Latin word statim, which means "immediately."
Source: Answers.com, Yahoo! Answers
The More You Know: Some other Latin medical shorthand:
- a.c. - ante cibum, "before meals"
- h.s. - hora somni, "at bedtime"
- M. - misce, "mix"
- m.d.u. - more dicto utendus, "to be used as directed"
- nebul - nebula, "a spray"
- q.a.d. - quoque alternis die, "every other day"
- s - sine, "without"
- s.a. - secundum artem, "use your judgment"
- s.o.s. - si opus sit, "if there is a need"
- ung. - unguentum, "ointment"