Search: sid nancy
Why: Just watched a "The State" sketch that had Sid & Nancy as teammates on some Pyramid-type show.
Answer: Here's how it went down:
- Oct. 12, 1978 - Vicious claimed to have awoken from a drugged stupor to find Nancy Spungen dead on the bathroom floor of their New York hotel room. She had been stabbed once in the abdomen and apparently bled to death. The knife used had been bought by Sid on 42nd Street and was identical to a collector's knife that Dee Dee Ramone had given to Stiv Bators.
- Oct. 22, 1978 - Sid tried to slash his wrists and was commited to Bellevue Hospital, where he met Michele Robinson. When he got out of Bellevue, he started living with "new girlfriend" Michele.
- Nov. 22, 1978 - Sid was arrested and charged with her murder. Vicious admitted they had fought that night, but gave conflicting versions of what happened next. Once he said "I stabbed her, but I didn't mean to kill her," then that he didn't remember, and then said Spungen had fallen onto the knife.
- Dec. 9, 1978 - Vicious was arrested for assault after an altercation with Patti Smith's brother Todd. He was sent to Riker's Island.
- Feb. 1, 1979 - Vicious had a release party at the home of Michele Robinson. He was clean, having detoxed from heroin while at Riker's. Despite Robinson's protests, Sid's mom sent heroin to the house. Vicious overdosed later that night, but Robinson revived him. Later, the two fell asleep together. In the morning, Vicious was found dead "from an accumulation of fluid in the lungs that was consistent with heroin overdose."
The More You Know: Johnny Rotten had a pet hamster named Sid who he described as "the softest, furriest, weediest thing on earth." The hamster bit Simon Ritchie, who said, "Sid is really vicious!" Voilà: Sid Vicious.