Search: blue whales bigger than dinosaurs
Why: According to Wikipedia: "The Blue Whale is the largest animal ever to have lived."
Answer: No! A few of the biggest dinosaurs may have been longer than the blue whale, but none compared to its actual body size. This is because land animals have growth limitations due to gravity. The bigger an animal becomes, the bigger its bones, muscles, organs, etc. need to be to support it its bulk. It also must eat more to sustain itself.
In the sea, however, there are no such constraints because water supports the bulk, and there are literally millions of tons of available food.
Source: TheNatureInUS, Yahoo Answers!
The More You Know: Fun Facts! A blue whale:
- Can be up to 110 ft long
- Can weigh 200+ tons
- Is as big as a town of 2,700 people
- Has to eat 1-2 million calories a day
- Has a tongue that weighs more than an elephant
- Has arteries big enough for a man to swim through
- Has 8 tons of blood
- Has a heart that weighs 1,000 lbs