Search: nolite te bastardes carborundorum
Why: It is carved in the wall of Offred's bedroom in The Handmaid's Tale. I'm pretty sure the Latin name for sapphire / ruby is similar to carborundorum.
Answer: It's fake Latin for "Don't let the bastards grind you down." Other variations (none of them correct) include:
- Illegitimi non carborundum
- Nil illegitimi carborundum.
- Non illegitimis carborundum.
- Illegitimi nil carborundum.
- Non illegitimi carborundum.
- Nil bastardo carborundum.
- Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
- Illegitimis non carborundum.
- Illegitimus non carborundum est.
- Nil illegitimo in desperandum carborundum
- Nil carborundum illegitamae
The More You Know: The Latin name for sapphire / ruby is corundum - though carborundum is a hard mineral used for grinding. The fake word word carborundorum is probably a portmanteau of "carbon" and "corundum." So I was kind of right. Again.